Monday, June 25, 2012

Little Mosque on the Prairie

I know this show actually ended this year, but I've only just started watching a few old episodes on the internet recently. Yeah I'm a behind-the-times spaz, so what else is new.

Anyway, I really wanted to like Little Mosque on the Prairie because it's a potentially great idea. I don't know of any other sitcom that depicts a Muslim community in North America, and I think North America is more than ready for it. If Little Mosque had been well-written and had offered some genuine insight into Muslim community life in Canada, that could have been a great opportunity to embrace multiculturalism, dispel stereotypes, and generally promote the hilarity that inevitably occurs when a community good-naturedly pokes fun at itself.

At the very least, this show could have had some jokes that had a real punchline and didn't pretty much just rely on some rendition of "isn't it crazy, or not really crazy but, you know, noticeable, how we're sort of different from other Canadians, in certain somewhat superficial ways that are never fully articulated or explored?"

Wikipedia tells me this thing has had a lot of viewers and gotten great critical reception. So I can only assume everyone else feels the same way I do, that they're interested in the existence of a sitcom on this subject matter, and has not somehow been deluded into thinking that this show is actually funny.

I watched an episode the other day that literally had the following bit of dialogue. OK, I didn't write it down as I was watching it, but this is pretty much what it was:

"I've been watching a lot of infomercials."
"Oh yeah, like for what?"
"Hijammies!"
"What?"
"Hijammies! Part-hijab, part-jammies, all comfort!"

Sorry... was that a joke? I've been in Germany for a year, so I honestly can't really tell.
Comments
1 Comments

1 comment :

  1. I feel the same way. I wanted to like Little Mosque, but it just wasn't funny.

    ReplyDelete