Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

As today is New Year's Day, I came up with some resolutions, just like I did last year. I also reflected on to what extent I fulfilled last year's resolutions and, if I did, to what extent they made me happier. But first things first: this year's resolutions.

Resolution 1: I will recognize that happiness is a choice, and I will choose happiness. I will not allow small setbacks to throw me too far off course.

Resolution 2: If the shoe doesn't fit, I will take it off. If this is for some reason not possible right away, I will make a concrete plan to make it happen as soon as possible.

Resolution 3: I will allow only open, loving people into my life. I will be asshole-free.

And with that, here is my assessment of my resolutions from last year:

Resolution 1: investing time and energy in my friendships. When I succeeded in doing it, which wasn't as often as I would have liked, it definitely made me happier. Good one.

Resolution 2: communicate clearly, i.e. ask for what I want, tell someone when I'm upset. I found this very hard to do because it seems people are not used to hearing anything really honest and are generally very taken aback. However, again, when I did it it was worthwhile because it revealed which relationships were worth keeping.

Resolution 3: trust my gut. Yes. Forcing myself to do this is the single most important change I have made in my life thus far. I don't mean to be ridiculously arrogant, but you should all do it too.
Comments
3 Comments

3 comments :

  1. I love the idea that happiness is a choice. I don't think enough people realize how much control we have over our emotions. Yeah, life can suck and will punch you between the eyes. But you only stay down by choice, not by necessity. Nice, solid list of resolutions! (Found you through a link on Dave's page - http://littlearrowshurt.blogspot.com)

    ~SP
    http://www.500daysofshaneiferd.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks and welcome! I'm going to check out your blog asap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jennie!
    Seems I found your blog all by myself ;). Just researched Jennie Morgan Blog lol.

    About these resolutions: Did you copy them from my diary?!?! This is exactly what I have resolved for myself. Incredible.
    Good luck and lots of fun to both of us with these then :D.

    xox
    Caroline (Munich)

    ReplyDelete