Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Three Good Friends

As I've been going about trying to get used to the real full-time working phase of my life and coming to terms with the fact that I will probably (hopefully) never be a student again, I've been thinking (and posting) a lot lately about what contributes to happiness. And I think I have possibly come up with a short list that might actually sort of be true. Here it is:

Three good friends
One is too few, 10 is too many because they can't all be good friends. But three is the magic number. You need three good friends.

A good partner
I sort of hate to put this on here because I know it's modern and so on to think that everyone can be equally happy, single or not. However, the truth, as far as I can tell, is that a lot of happy people have good partners. I'll hopefully redeem myself a bit by saying it's not exactly the case that a good partner makes you happy, but rather that a happy person is satisfied with a good partner. A happy person, in other words, is content to get to know people who are obviously available for a genuine relationship. He/she doesn't seek drama or have a constantly wandering eye.

A decent day-to-day
It takes maturity to get to a certain age and say "okay, I can't just nap intermittently all day long anymore. I have to make a living." And maybe making a living won't be quite as much fun as napping intermittently all day long. That said, you can't hate what you do all day, or else your life will just become a gigantic battle to get to the weekend, which will go by way too fast every time. Not happy.

A minimal number of assholes in one's line of vision
And by line of vision I mean, you know, people you give the time of day to.

So that's happiness. Tell me, what did I miss?
Comments
3 Comments

3 comments :

  1. I'd say one good laugh a day. Is one too little? I don't know. I just think I have to laugh everyday.

    Oh, and zebra cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about a few decent songs to listen to? I find music often soothes life's various aches and pains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with the decent day-to-day. I don't believe in doing something just for achieving something else with it. If you have to do something you don't like, keep it to the minimum and try to find something enjoyable about it...

    In my opinion (but that's something a lot of people don't share) living to the limit is something that makes you happy. There are a lot of people who will tell you it's impossible to do certain things just because they've never tried. Using every hour in your life to the maximum will make sure that you don't regret a single day looking back at our life when you're old.

    ReplyDelete