Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Internet

I know this is obvious and kind of dumb but in light of all the stuff people always say about how spookily addicted our generation is to the Internet, and how there are rehab centres and the like for people who go through life not being able to control the freakish typing movement of their fingers and looking like they're staring into the cool glow of a computer screen even when they're not, I've been thinking a lot lately about the Internet's good side. I mean, not that I'm old, but when I was a kid I had to ask someone what a blowjob was if I wanted to know. Now you can just google it and they'll give you pictures and everything.

But that's not the most what's really amazing about the Internet. (And Wikipedia has taken the best of the whole world's knowledge, organized it, and put it all in one place, but that's not what's really amazing either.) What's really amazing is that it gives anyone who wants to the opportunity to change people's lives. Take Natalie Lue, for example. I know that her relationship blog definitely changed my life completely. Or this guy Adam Baker whom I just found out about, who posts about how he's getting out of debt and travelling the world at the same time, with a baby no less, and offers tips about how anyone else can do that too. These people aren't huge celebrities, but they are speaking to people who experience the same longings that they have experienced.

Likewise, it is easier than ever before to find these people. Whereas in bygone days, you had to tell your story and hope you could find one person who would think to themselves "ah yes, that's the way I feel it too," today you don't even have to be the one to say it. Now, you can find someone else to say it and then you can be the one to respond, "ah yes." And there's no risk that anyone will call you crazy.

That's, well, amazing. Isn't it?
Comments
1 Comments

1 comment :

  1. Love this. The internet just got my family through an insanely stressful/scary experience and I sincerely believe we got our happy resolution much faster than we would have (if at all) in a world without the internet.

    ReplyDelete