Monday, May 9, 2011

Waste Land

Waste Land is a documentary about a guy who makes art out of garbage. I know this is a little dumb but I kind of wish the movie sucked so that I could say it's garbage too. However, the movie is pretty decent. Which I guess should delight me because that the movie isn't garbage is ironic, and we all know what the favourite thing of the hipster is.

The guy who makes art out of garbage is actually only the entryway into the real story, which is about the people whose job it is to sift through the garbage looking for recyclables in a gigantic landfill in Brazil. If there's anything hipsters and hipsters-in-denial like more than irony it's anything to do with downtrodden folks in foreign countries, so naturally I thought this was great.

Actually there was one woman named Isis Rodrigues, one of the ones who sifted through the garbage, who I really thought the whole movie should have been about because she was such a tragic figure. The guy doing the art tries to interview her to see what she's all about right near the beginning of the movie and she breaks down in tears and says that she's in love with a married truck driver. And then it turns out her life story is actually much more tragic than that, but I don't want to give the whole thing away. Anyway, I was super into this storyline because I'm a sucker for that kind of person, you know, who seems okay on the surface but probe even a little bit and all this sad stuff pours out.

I think this is out of theatres now so rent or Netflix it.
Comments
0 Comments

No comments :

Post a Comment