Thursday, May 5, 2011

Half of Blue Valentine and The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake

1) At first I thought I'd better not review Blue Valentine on here because I fell asleep halfway through the thing. But then I remembered that I have a B.A. in English literature which means that I can form an elaborate thesis on the symbolism in a book I have never even opened, so I don't see why I shouldn't tell you that a movie I have seen a whole half of is boring, and that I don't ever want to look at Michelle Williams' gigantically bee stung lips again. Also, there is a supporting character in this movie named Bobby, which irked because is it just me or are there way more movie characters and the like named Bobby than there are people named Bobby in real life?

One more thing: something I read in the real reviews of Blue Valentine is that you only see the beginning and end of the main characters' failed relationship and not the middle, so you get no insight as to why it didn't succeed. From what I saw, I would say that's true. I know this is a bit like reading the Cliffs notes but I think we all know that sometimes reading the Cliffs notes is good enough.

2) I'm reading this actual book right now called The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender and I'm not sure what I think of it so far, but I did come across a sentence that I wanted to share with you. Remember how I was saying that ordinary things like signs and bits of pavement look heavy-hearted and morose when you're sad? Well, Aimee Bender says this:

"It can feel so lonely, to see strangers out in the day, shopping, on a day that is not a good one."

Yes, not just things but strangers too. Yes.
Comments
3 Comments

3 comments :

  1. I love this theory about not needing to have seen the film to be able to critique it! I spent three years at university writing essays on books that I had either read only the first half of, or read only the pertinent chapters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of wanted to see Blue Valentine, but after hearing some reviews and reading this, I think I'll wait until it's on instant Netflix. The middle is the best part, so I don't see why the movie would have left that out.

    And that sentence from the book you're reading is really lovely to me, for some reason. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea what that book is about, but I, for what it's worth, find nothing sad about lemon cake. In fact, I find it and other things flavoured lemon (especially tart) particularly delicious and sunshine happy... mmm! ;)

    ReplyDelete