Saturday, May 28, 2011

All-Seasons Cold Remedy

I am not terribly good at a great many things; however, one thing at which I am consistently excellent is getting a cold in the spring, so I am a fan of this tasty cold remedy. Admittedly, this will probably not cure the common cold if that's what you've got, but it will at least make you feel like you're taking steps in the direction of curing it, which if you believe in the placebo effect may be all it takes.

You know what will cure the common cold? Actually blowing your nose instead of sniffling back all that nasty shit. And spitting into a tissue if you happen to get a drop of it in your throat. But that's a bit like telling you to eat healthy and exercise, isn't it?

Anyway you will need:

a few fresh mint leaves
a lemon
honey
water and a kettle

Boil the water in the kettle. While you're waiting for that to happen, put the mint leaves in a mug and squeeze the lemon into it. I squeezed both halves but if you're not a huge fan of the sour you can just do one. Then add a bit of honey to the mug. And I do mean a bit, super-sweet things are totally sickening. Once the water has boiled, fill the mug and let steep for a few minutes.

If it's spring and you don't have a cold but you're still dying to try this fantastic all-seasons cold remedy, then put this in the fridge and drink it iced. But make more of it.

Gute Besserung, as they say in these parts. I think.


P.S. I didn't have the right change for the Waschmaschine the other day so I went to the corner store to buy a drink. But they didn't have the right change either, which I only found out once they already thought I had committed to buying the drink, so I bought the stupid drink. Know how many other things this happened with before I got the change? A plant, a light bulb, and a book by Alice Munro translated into German. I can read that, right? Right?
Comments
3 Comments

3 comments :

  1. experience tells me that it helps if everything listed is organic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I add ginger or ginseng as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks peeps. Follow-up to the story in the PS: a girl just knocked on my door asking me if I had change for the Waschmaschine. Naturally I didn't, but I understood what she said and answered her (auf Deutsch).

    SUCCESS

    ReplyDelete