Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Happiness, Sadness, and Ordinary Things

I'm thinking of the way ordinary things - like a broken-off bit of sidewalk, or a billboard for a real estate agent -  look when you're happy: simple, straightforward, life-affirming. And then I'm thinking of how those same sorts of things look when you're sad, or maybe not how they look but how they make you feel: utterly alone, heavy-hearted, with a sinking feeling in your stomach. Maybe that's why it feels easier to just stay where you are when you're sad.
Comments
6 Comments

6 comments :

  1. I try to get out of the house if I'm feeling really blue. Some fresh can do wonders. But I completely know the feeling you're talking about. Sometimes a piece of litter or a for sale sign give me this incredibly morose sinking feeling, like everything is so meaningless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should come back to Munich. Everything's happier here because life is just better when you're not at home. Maybe not better but easier to ignore.

    Oh wait... YOU ARE COMING BACK.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I totally know what you mean. For me, it happens with billboards especially for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever I'm sad, I watch this video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTIHorI9Zf4

    It is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I'm sad, I watch Dan Gilbert.

    http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/dan_gilbert_asks_why_are_we_happy.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and Steve, that video is *genius*

    ReplyDelete