Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Fighter

I did say that I was going to try and see all of the movies nominated for best picture this year, so I am going to try and stick to that. So, here's The Fighter. This movie was good, by which I mean it was easy to watch and didn't completely and totally rub me the wrong way or anything like that. And yet, it wasn't perfect. Let me explain what I mean.

The story is basically about a pro boxer whose family, while deeply loving, is also completely crazy and includes a crack-addicted brother-cum-trainer, a ridiculously overbearing mother, and (count 'em) seven of the trailer trashiest-looking sisters I've ever seen. The thing is worth seeing for these actors' performances alone, because all expertly straddle the line between funny-outrageous and pathetic-sad, which I bet is not easy to do.

That said, the boxer himself and his cute bartender girlfriend kind of got on my nerves, not least because the boxer, played by Mark Wahlberg, seems pretty damn hot to have come out of that hideously ugly family. As for his girlfriend, played by Amy Adams, well, she just kept on stomping off and saying she was through every time her bf's family showed up and started acting like asses even though you knew she was nowhere near through, and the bf kept on like showing up on her doorstep and begging forgiveness just like he was supposed to.

This bothered me because I have recurring fantasies about all sorts of people showing up on my doorstep unannounced, and the only ones who actually do are various individuals, none of whom have appeared in said fantasies, who try to sell me chocolate-covered almonds, pesticide, and Jesus. This lack of fantasy fulfillment has a sordid tendency to prevent me from saying I'm through when I'm actually not but definitely should be. So why should Amy Adams get to live my fantasy just because she has a nicer ass, know what I mean? No? Well then, I suppose what I'm saying is that this movie wasn't entirely true to life. At least not true to my life.
Comments
3 Comments

3 comments :

  1. Fun fact:
    One of the sisters in the movie is Conan O'Brien's real life sister.
    You're welcome. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last paragraph totally made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you deserve some kind of prize for that last paragraph. or my love, at least.

    ReplyDelete