Wednesday, April 13, 2011

127 Hours

And now back to the endless run of movie reviews. You may be surprised to hear that I actually liked 127 Hours, particularly considering that a movie about a guy who gets his arm stuck under a rock for that amount of time and then cuts it off frankly sounds like horribly gruesome meets mind-numbingly dull.

But what has become of this seeming non-starter of a plot is really rather amazing. You get to see how this guy survives when there's no chance anyone will find him, and what he thinks about for all that time. And while I have said elsewhere (by which I mean here) that I was less than impressed with James Franco at the Academy Awards, I have to say he was pretty darn handsome in this movie, even while he was drinking his own urine and cutting off his own arm. Yes, that last scene was gruesome, but it was very well-done. It came closer to depicting real-life physical pain, from which filmmakers tend to try and shield us, than anything else I have ever seen onscreen.

And you know, this director was smart - and, I daresay, different from practically every other Best Picture-nominated director - not to make too much of a hero out of a guy who is really just a regular guy trapped in an interesting situation. And since I was a total douche to Roger Ebert over here, I will now attempt to make up for it by quoting his review of 127 Hours, with which I completely agree, in an admiring tone:

"He did what he had to do, which doesn't make him a hero. We could do it too. Oh, yes, we could."
Comments
2 Comments

2 comments :

  1. I agree completely! The plot could have been boring and gross, but the director, Danny Boyle, made it really interesting.

    Boyle also directed a bunch of other cool movies like Slumdog Millionaire and Trainspotting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to watch this but I heard how brutal the part where he breaks his arm off is and I don't know if I can handle it. I might just make sure to watch it with someone who can tell me when it's over.

    ReplyDelete