Monday, March 14, 2011

The Social Network

I know this movie came out ages ago and to be honest with you, I saw it before this blog existed, but I'm going to review it here anyway as part of an endeavor to tell you what I think of every movie that was nominated for best picture. This is so I can award my own winner by way of a shout-out on this blog. How's that for a consolation prize, huh?

I sort of can't believe this myself, but I don't have a terribly strong opinion on The Social Network. It wasn't awful; it wasn't fantastic. It was okay. I guess.

I hardly ever feel that way about movies, especially the ones that are trying to be good (as opposed to like Letters to Juliet or something, which there's no point in criticizing because it was sort of trying to suck). So go see this thing if there's any chance you haven't yet, if only so that you can find a way to better articulate its vague aura of lameness than I can.

I do have two actual things to say about The Social Network: 1) if there was an Oscar for Fewest Number of Likable Characters in a Movie, this should for sure win, and 2) even so, Mark Zuckerberg deserves to be a billionaire for inventing the ingenious website that wastes all of our time.

I also have a super banal anecdote that is not really about this movie but related. Because I obviously read AOL news (don't you?), I saw here that MZ has had the same girlfriend since he was a student. Whenever I mention this to anyone they're like "What?! So that Erica girl from the movie isn't real?????!!!!!!"

Don't believe everything you see on TV, folks. Believe it if you see it on AOL news.
Comments
2 Comments

2 comments :

  1. I loved The Social Network. I also think that likeable characters are overrated. Unlikeable ones tend to be more interesting. Which perhaps explain why I lived The Social Network so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually agree with you about unlikable characters (and of course, I despised The King's Speech which is filled with likable ones). I think maybe balance between the two kinds of characters (or, more to the point, within the characters themselves) is key.

    ReplyDelete