Saturday, February 26, 2011

More on The King's Speech

I already reviewed The King's Speech here, but I don't think hardly anyone read that because it was like day three of this blog and that post was also obnoxiously long. So now that it looks like this movie might actually win a thousand Oscars, I'm just going to summarize the plot for you very quickly, a.k.a tell you what's wrong with it:

There's this posh snob who has a stutter. His wife gets him a speech therapist. Despite his superficial veneer of overconfidence, the speech therapist is super-impressed with his new patient because patient is actually the grand mother of all posh snobs, i.e. the friggin king. Speech therapist keeps telling posh snob that he's the "bravest man I've ever met," and posh snob's wife echoes these sentiments. Reasons for assumed bravery are presumably one of the following: a) guy's the king; b) guy has a stutter; c) guy's nice enough to tolerate talking to a common speech therapist; d) guy became the king a bit unexpectedly because his bro was first in line; e) some combination of the above.

I don't mean to be an asshole, but here's the thing: kings were born to be kings. Therefore, being the king doesn't make them brave, even if they are a little uncomfortable being the king. Like, "king" is the default position for a king, know what I mean? A king could abdicate, but let's face it, he's not going to because of a stutter since it's pretty awesome to be king. So this particular king makes some strides toward overcoming his stutter, but lots of stutterers who have far fewer resources than a king do that.

So why this guy is so brave, I am really just not sure. And why everyone and his mother (especially his mother) so loves this movie, I am also just not sure. Although I suppose I could speculate that people may just be fascinated with the British monarchy to the point that they think even uninteresting things about it are interesting. Did you hear that Kate has chosen her wedding dress designer, but she won't tell us who it is???? I can't wait to see the movie about that. And if you think I'm joking think again, because you are going to see that shit on Lifetime.
Comments
2 Comments

2 comments :

  1. I agree with you that the movie is not a critical masterpiece. It manages a peculiar (but not unique) fusion of the saccharine and the bland.

    Although your critique is quite cleverly written, I think you underestimate the importance of the abdication crisis. It was not a mere private family drama. Perhaps the real problem is that the movie portrays it as such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The movie also conveniently leaves out his involvement with the Nazi party.

    ReplyDelete