Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tangy English Pancakes

I know I said here that I would give you a whole bunch of recipes that use lentils or bulgur, but you know, I can't come up with a single recipe besides this one that makes really good use of lentils. I even went so far as to try to cook the wretched things with Coca Cola, and believe it or not, it was atrocious. So if you have a lentil recipe that you truly think is fantastic, please email it to me and I will test it out. But otherwise, I will be moving on to other, more delicious things, such as tangy English pancakes, which contain yogurt and no baking powder. The yogurt makes them tangy and the lack of baking powder makes them English. You can actually leave the baking powder out of any pancake recipe if you want, and you will get English pancakes, which are denser and even more delicious than American pancakes, in my opinion.

This recipe is sort of based on the banana sour cream pancakes from the Barefoot Contessa Family Style cookbook, but I've totally changed it, so it's pretty much nothing like that recipe. Really I just told you that so I could mention how much I adore the cheery-faced Ina Garten (a.k.a. the Barefoot Contessa), a Jewish girl that is more successful than me whom I don't try hard to hate, unlike Natalie Portman. I am not sure why I feel differently about Ina Garten, but I think it may be because she is ten years older than my mother.

Anyway, tangy English pancakes. This recipe is a winner. Have the ingredients for these on hand when your new significant other sleeps over for the first time, is all I can say.

You will need the following:

1 1/2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup plain yogurt
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs
2 bananas, halved and sliced
Vegetable oil
Butter
100% pure maple syrup

To show you how to halve and slice a banana, I took this picture, and didn't notice until I loaded it on my computer how outrageously phallic it is.


Hopefully you can look past that and get the idea. To make the pancakes, mix all the ingredients together, except the vegetable oil, butter, and maple syrup, in a large bowl. Then pour some veg oil in a frying pan (twice around the pan is good), add about a teaspoonful of butter to the pan, and melt the butter over medium heat. This makes it harder to burn the butter, because if you use it with oil it can cook at the same high temperature as oil. Cool trick, huh? I learned it from Ina, it's how she makes green beans.

Anyway, place spoonfuls of the pancake batter into the frying pan, cook about 4 minutes, then flip and cook another 4 minutes. You'll probably need to add another teaspoon of butter, and possibly a little more veg oil, after each batch so the pan doesn't get dry. 

If you make your pancakes about this size, you will get 10 of 'em:


You can make them bigger than this, but I wouldn't recommend you go much thicker, since if you do, the outside could burn before the inside is cooked through, which is a problem.

Serve with 100% pure maple syrup. If you are not sure whether what you've got is 100% pure maple syrup, look at the bottle. It will say "100% pure maple syrup" on it if it is, in fact, 100% pure maple syrup. It will also probably have some sort of hilarious Canadiana imagery on it, like really large cartoonish maple leaves, trees with sap-collecting buckets, or possibly waltzing log-drivers. It will not say any of the following things anywhere on it:

1) "Aunt Jemima's"
2) "pancake syrup"
3) "high-fructose corn syrup"
4) "may cause an increased risk of birth defects"

Yes, you must use the real thing, or don't expect your date to think you're a class act.



Comments
3 Comments

3 comments :

  1. mmm... pancakes! Jennie - I have a good lentil soup recipe for you :) I will forward it to you for your consideration and expert evaluation :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you said something about that first photo... cause it's all I could think.

    Plus killer last photo, like a real food photographer (I do believe that's an actual job).

    I actually might try these, looks easy enough.
    Loving the food posts- mainly cause I love food- but keep 'em comin'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, Jennie, these look delicious. I'll keep this in mind for if I ever have a lover and want to wine and dine him in the morning. :)

    Or maybe I'll just make them for two German kids. Ha.

    ReplyDelete