Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

Like many people (probably), I find the concept of new year's resolutions pretty pointless. That's not only because I know I won't actually exercise more, read more classic novels, or study harder than I've ever done before, but because in all honesty, I don't think I'd be any happier even if I did. So that got me thinking: what can I resolve to do this year that will actually make me happier? I'm pleased to report that I have come up with three things. I think the first one will be fun, while the second and third will be a lot harder than exercising, reading, or studying. Still, I'm confident that the happiness payoff will make it worthwhile.

I am aware that blogging one's New Year's resolutions is sort of a vomitudinously hipster thing to do. However, because I am arrogant enough to think that my resolutions will make you happier too, I went and did it anyway.

Resolution 1: I will invest time and energy in my friendships. I will catch up with friends individually on a regular basis so that we know what is going on in one another's lives. I will organize lunches, nights out, and coffee dates. I will not be "too busy" or "too tired" to do these things, because not doing them is what makes me feel "busy" and "tired."

Resolution 2: I will communicate clearly. If someone does something to upset me, I will say so. If I want something, I will ask for it. I will not expect anyone to read my mind.

Resolution 3: I will trust my gut. I know it will never mislead me.
Comments
0 Comments

No comments :

Post a Comment