Sunday, January 9, 2011

Giada de Laurentiis and a Massive Pet Peeve of Mine

Do you know who Giada de Laurentiis is? She's the host of Everyday Italian on the Food Network, who also happens to be a super hot chick with great cleavage. But she consistently demonstrates one of my biggest pet peeves, and this unfortunately really prevents me from liking her.

The pet peeve can be seen in the following video:



You only have to watch until second 27. If you do, you will notice that Giada speaks English with a perfectly flat American accent, and yet, when she pronounces the word "gelato" in second 26, all of a sudden, you hear a very surprisingly sudden burst of Italian accent.

I have noticed that a lot of people do this, that is, pronounce foreign words with a put-on foreign accent, apparently to show off the fact that they took French in college or went to Quebec City and stayed in a Holiday Inn once. Make it stop.
Comments
10 Comments

10 comments :

  1. lol must confess, I'm guilty of doing that [usually with Spanish] especially when it comes to names ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's ok, I must confess I wear Uggs sometimes, so nobody's perfect. Hope to keep seeing you around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must confess that, even in Ontario, I sweep in a French Canadian accent when I pronounce "en route". Will you forgive the Montrealer in me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh!! I HATE that about Giada! whenever i watch her show it drives me crazy and i think it's because i feel that it is fake in a trying-to-hard kind of way... ewwwww!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It happens the other way around too :p I'm guilty of going North American with English words that come up when I'm speaking in my mother tongue. BTW your blog is very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anonymous: Absolutely. After all, I expect anyone who sees me wearing my Uggs to forgive the Jewish princess in me.

    @Melissa: Agreed.

    @Songbird: Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaa I know what u mean! It is annoying. People always try to act smarter than they are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As the future husband of Giada, I will not stand for this blasphemous talk. Her accent can change a dozen times in one sentence, and it's nothing other than perfectly acceptable and moderately erotic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get the jist of what you're saying but I have to disagree. You're watching a how presumably about italian food? she's italian, it would be rude for her not to attempt correct pronunciation.
    Just like a hispanic american shouldn't have to pronounce enchalada in a flat american accent. I do realise though that it was more a passing observation and it wasnt meant with deeper intent. I'm not familiar with Giada or the show or what else she does. I just think in general attempting to offer correct pronunciation is nothing short of polite. I don't mean to argue, but it's what I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, she's of Italian background, but she is American, and she typically does it with words that are commonly used in English (like gelato). She doesn't need to do it to be polite to Italians, since the show is in English and on American TV, so it sort of comes across as pretentious, as in, "I can do this accent and you're saying it wrong." But hey, to each his own.

    ReplyDelete