Friday, December 24, 2010

Hello!

I have decided to start a blog. That's a sort of unceremonious beginning, but hopefully I'll get the hang of this fast. And hopefully it'll look a little better once I get a picture in the header and stuff.

What will be the point of this blog? That's a question I keep asking myself, and it's a good one, since goodness knows everyone else needs a point to write a blog. In any case I think the point of this one is just that I'm a little antisocial but also love to talk, and a blog is the only way I can really think of to resolve this contradiction.

I'm sure I'll discuss a variety of topics on here, but will probably mostly stick with recipes and whether or not they work, movies and whether or not they suck, and fashion trends and whether or not they are hideous, because those are the subjects about which I am confident that my opinion is better thought-through than everyone else's.

To illustrate this point, a story about my opinion on something Important. The other day I was sitting around while various other people were discussing the Israelis and the Palestinians, as people are often wont to do. And I said that I didn't really think it was even worth talking about anymore since the fact of the matter is that tons of people will always hate Israel whether their army is too aggressive or not, because that's just how the world kind of is about Jews and maybe we should own it already instead of always being upset about it. I mean, we can't all be like the Irish and be beloved by all. We can't all have leprechauns and cool accents and lucky charms. But anyway, that hasn't stopped Israel from having a super sweet beach and great cuisine and lots of hot men, so maybe we should just enjoy those things and hope the conflict will resolve itself eventually.

Well, that didn't go over very well, for did you know that 1) that's not true that people will always hate Israel whether their army is too aggressive or not (camp A) and 2) I should care more about everyone's opinion of Israel, especially the president of Iran's, because that guy is developing nuclear weapons and who do I think they're for (camp B)?

And let's not forget the time I didn't look at a newspaper for an entire week, and that week happened to begin on the day that big tsunami happened five years ago or whenever it was, which resulted in my announcing the event to a table of people a week after it happened as though it was news. I know that's not an opinion, but you know what I mean. Nightmare.

So that's why you will not be reading anything like that on this blog. Recipes, movies, and fashion trends. My word on those matters is gospel. Just ask anyone.

But today, a little something different, because I am pleased to report that I have recently read a book, and it wasn't called Canadian Administrative Law (okay, who am I kidding, it wasn't called Admin Law Case Summaries 2006) and it had a picture on the cover that wasn't of an empty boardroom. This book that I have read has a quote in it that I rather like, so I am going to share it with you. The book is Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson, and the quote is this:

"When you read Dickens you're reading a long ballad from a vanished world, where everything has to come together in the end like an equation."

That's simple but lovely and true, isn't it? I suppose it was just the style of literature from long ago to pretend the world was uncomplicated, but I wonder why, what the point was of pretending so long and so hard.

I leave you with that, until next time.
Comments
4 Comments

4 comments :

  1. First comment! A great start to your blogging career, JMo. So true about the Irish. Even the horror movie "Leprachaun" is more adorable than scary.

    Keep it up!

    Jonny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have a book quote that I'd like to share:

    "He then died from putrescence of the flesh, brought about by his gregarious sexual appetites."

    This is from Nigel Bagnall's The Punic Wars, describing the Roman statesman Cornelius Sulla. It's definitely a more flowery way to say "he died from multiple STDs."

    -Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog, and it's true that the Irish still have cute accents, and they've always had good whiskey and good writers. But now that they're bankrupt I don't know that we want to be like them anymore. The leprachauns don't seem to be much help, and begging Europe to bail them out might just be making the Irish more annoying to the French and Germans than the Israelis and Palestinians put together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Love the blog. Most impressed with the fact that you have friends who are brave enough to talk about Israel...but I totally agree that I'm far more interested in your views on fashion and movies and such since I agree with your Middle East conflict view - so on with the mundane!

    ReplyDelete